National Science and Engineering Week is annual event celebrating science and engineering activities (http://www.britishscienceassociation.org/national-science-engineering-week)
Last year during the same week Junkbots also formed part of the activities (see http://junkbots.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/junkbots-goes-south.html).
This time we worked with two classes - a year 2 and a year 5 class; building the drawing junkbot. Examples of previous drawing junkbots are shown above. Approximately 50 children took part across the two 45 minute activities.
Essentially a drawing junkbot is based around a drinks can that:
- draw patterns without anyone touching it;
-carried the battery pack or not depends on the age of the group;
-moves by shaking a can using an unbalanced motor with 'legs' make from pens.
- Details of the work developed and a case study can be found at: http://www.hestem-sw.org.uk/project?id=16&pp=540
- Details of the case study can be found at: http://projects.hestem-sw.org.uk/upload/Junkbot_june_northampton.pdf
- Details of an in-school session plan can be found at: http://projects.hestem-sw.org.uk/upload/Planning_Process_junkbots_KS3_4_longer.docx
- Details of an STEM club session plan can be found at: http://projects.hestem-sw.org.uk/upload/Planning_Process_junkbots_primary_short8.docx
- Previous visit to South End School see http://junkbots.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/junkbots-goes-south.html)
If you would like to know more about the Junkbots project contact email@example.com